[anim] L'Idée (Berthold Bartosch, 1932)

El Foro de Animación. De calidad y tal. Caben dibus, stop-motion, plastilina, pin-screen...
Fitzcarraldo

[anim] L'Idée (Berthold Bartosch, 1932)

Mensaje por Fitzcarraldo » Dom 29 Ene, 2006 20:25

Imagen
Bartosch was born in Bohemia in the actual Czech republic in 1893, in 1920 he moved to Berlin, where he later met silhouette animator Lotte Reiniger, Bartosch worked with her, on the film 'The Adventures of Prince Achmed'. In 1930 started working on the adaptation of The Idea a book of woodcuts published by Frans Masereel in 1920, Masereel's 'novels without words' where very famous in the 1920's in Germany, it seems that Ruttman's Berlin: Symphony of a City was completely inspired on a woodcut book by Masereel called 'The City'.

Masereel first worked with Bartosch, but after a few weeks he dropped out of the project after seeing how tedious work animation was, so Bartosch continued working alone during 2 years to complete the animation, 45.000 images were animated on sheets of glass with washtinted blacks and soap, with 100 Watts light bulbs illuminating the work, his work study was 10 x 12 feet and half the space was filled with the sheets of glass which were disposed in some kind of workbench.

Bartosch was one of the first persons to demonstrate animation could be poetic, when the film came out in 1932, the newspapers refered it has 'Masereel's L'idée' not recognizing all the painfull work Bartosch went trough. This is the solely surviving film of Bartosch, he later made Cosmos, a 109 minutes film, which the Gestapo destroied. One of the greatest and most forgotten genius of animation together with Alexander Alexeïeff, whom so much liked his work.

I hope like this, some light will be shed on Bartosch and people can see how great he was, and by so resurect a phantom from beyond time, and bring him once again to our heads and hearts.

Regarding the film itself:

Don't see the roll of a female nude in this film and what happens to her has mere exploitation of the female condition. She represents The Idea, the naked truth, we that are used to watch all kinds of violence on television and tremble in horror on the vision of the 'Naked Truth'.

This tells the story of the idea since it's created, how it is rejected and forced to dress in the world, how she protects the ones that want to make a change, how she is printed and finally showed to the world, trough radio, newspaper etc.. and in the end how she returns to her maker. It's social allegory, you have to see to believe the density and poetic vision of this film. The final words by Bartosch should have been 'You can do everything with soap.'

Nowadays we have the internet to expand such ideas and concepts, we have something that the world never saw before, a massive way of communication which can reach the four corners of the world.

All texts by myself, having as basis the writings of Claire Parker and Alexander Alexeïeff on this film and on the author, and the writings of the same nature by William Moritz.

from Amos Vogel on film has subversive art:
THE IDEA
(Berthold Bartosch, France, 1931)
Based on Frans Mesareel's famed woodcuts, this animated film classic was the first trick film with a radical film: a revolutionary idea (in the shape of a nude woman) is conceived by the artist, condemned by the world, the rich, and the church, but lives on, forever stirring men to revolt.
I'm pleased to announce this is the very first rip, from a series which will follow by our beloved friend Malachi, that runs the hub 'Cinemagrotesque' in directconnect. I already had the vhs of this film, but I asked her to release this one, and she kindly agreed.
Última edición por Fitzcarraldo el Dom 29 Ene, 2006 22:51, editado 1 vez en total.

pickpocket

Mensaje por pickpocket » Dom 29 Ene, 2006 20:35

Grande Fitz, muy grande :plas::plas::plas:

Fitzcarraldo

Mensaje por Fitzcarraldo » Dom 29 Ene, 2006 21:14

this is the original book by Masereel:

ed2k linkFrans Masereel - The Idea.rar ed2k link stats

enjoy :)

vespertilum

Mensaje por vespertilum » Dom 29 Ene, 2006 22:47

Clicked. Thanks fitz :plas:
Salud2

seiyuro_hiko

Mensaje por seiyuro_hiko » Lun 30 Ene, 2006 01:42

I-LOVE-UUUUUUU Fitz ... looks damn good !
plus the info you wrote is quite interesting ( it's pretty obvious you took your time that's why i'm truly grateful ;) ) never heard of Bartosch before, but i'll keep an eye open from now on... thank you Fitz , thanks Malachi ... once again

BTW, what's the address of Cinemagrotesque ?

Note: now i think about it... it looks like i said all those things just to ask this... so i'd like to make clear that i wrote what i truly wanted to ^^
"... like a pyramid of heartbeats
everythings fainting
like the windless delicacy of the air
in chinese paintings ..."

polileek

Mensaje por polileek » Lun 30 Ene, 2006 02:03

Uhhh!!! impresionante.

Gracias Fitz.
"Entonces dentro del nido de nadas
la mosca ha de mamar sus propios pechos
con su máscara de madrehuevo
en un solo tiempo de parto"