Sheng Si Hen (Fei Mu, Mai Lanfang 1947) Remorse at Death

Sección dedicada al cine experimental. Largometrajes, cortos, series y material raro, prácticamente desconocido o de interés muy minoritario.
auess

Sheng Si Hen (Fei Mu, Mai Lanfang 1947) Remorse at Death

Mensaje por auess » Mié 01 Jun, 2005 17:27

Imagen

Sheng Si Hen (1947)

Directed by
Fei Mu

Also Known As:
Wedding in the Dream
Remorse at Death
Happiness Neither in Life Nor in Death

Runtime: 60 min
Color: Color
Sound Mix: Unknown
IMDB link: None
Review: The interaction between traditional theatre and Chinese cinema
Well, this is Fei Mu's unique film experiment in Beijing opera and stage performance. It's the first Chinese color feature film, starring Mei Lanfang, the most famous Beijing opera artist in the world, his stage art is one of the three stage theory systems in the world along with Russian Stanislavski and German Brecht. Although the film color is a bit faded, and the sound is slurred, but it's still a very rare archival film, nearly be burnt during the Culture Revolution, it's very lucky we can see it today.

Mei Lanfang (1894-1961) came from a family involved in opera for generations and his acting was highly regarded while still a teenager. His specialty was playing female roles, in which he aspired to embody the ideal of femininity. He did not try to portray realistically female characters, and he also did not consider himself a female impersonator. Mei was involved in one of the first Chinese colour feature films, Sheng Si Hen/Wedding in the Dream/Remorse at Death (FEI Mu, 1947), which filmed a staged performance. Mei was a strong supporter of the Communist Party after 1949, and was officially popular until the Cultural Revolution. The role of Dieyi (Leslie CHEUNG Kwok-Wing) in Ba Wang Bie Ji/Farewell My Concubine (CHEN Kaige, 1993) is loosely based on Mei's life. Mei was married and had children, and his surviving family make it quite clear that there is no question of homosexuality throughout Mei's career.

In the late 1930s and 1940s, despite the fact that, for most studios, the priority was producing films of social realism and documentaries of the Anti-Japanese War, films of traditional theatre continued to be produced. Unlike previous filmed performances which took scenes of particular plays, films of traditional theatre in this period included some complete operas such as the Beijing opera Wu Han kills his wife (Zhan jingtang 1937) featuring the well-known actor Zhou Xinfang in the lead role, and the Shaoxing opera Xianglin's wife (Xianglin sao 1948). When Fei Mu, one of the well-known directors at the time, and his fellow filmmakers considered making colour films in 1947, their first thought went to colourful theatrical performances. The next year they made the first colour film, Eternal regret (Sheng si hen 1948), with Mei Lanfang in the lead role. As we have seen through this survey, filmmakers returned to traditional Chinese theatre at each new stage in the technological development of the Chinese cinema. The Western camera was the magic and the Eastern theatre was the show: by now the magic camera had completed the process of revealing the acting, the colour and the sound of the show.

The Worlds of Mei Lanfang
Mei Lanfang with S. Eisenstein

well, Mei LanFang is also good friend of those early soviet filmmasters like Sergei Eisenstein, Alexander Dovzhenko etc. and he even made a b/w stage film cooperated with Sergei Eisenstein, the master of montage. if you can find this legendary Eisenstein film, pleaseee share it! Here's a picture of this unknown film:
Imagen

:roll:

ed2k linkFei.Mu,.Mei.Lanfang.-.Wedding.in.the.Dream.-.Remorse.at.Death.(1947).first.Chinese.color.feature-(auess).mpg ed2k link stats
ed2k linkFei.Mu,.Mei.Lanfang.-.Wedding.in.the.Dream.-.Remorse.at.Death.(1947)-EN.srt ed2k link stats

(Could anyone please tell me how many finished or nearly finished sources in Song of China now? )

Imagen___click to enlarge the picture.

Fitzcarraldo

Mensaje por Fitzcarraldo » Mié 01 Jun, 2005 17:43

thanks a lot auess!!! :plas: :plas: :plas:

canaguayo

Info

Mensaje por canaguayo » Mié 01 Jun, 2005 19:07

Thanks auess for this new chinese curiosity.
I'm still downloading "New & Old Shangai" (441 Mb).
"Song of China" only 106 Mb downloaded. A little slow but...
New report soon.
Thanks again.
---
Si nos gustan tanto las pirámides ¿por qué no hacemos más? - Pablo Motos

GandalfMetal

Mensaje por GandalfMetal » Mié 01 Jun, 2005 19:20

Oh my God, this is incredible... 8O I never dreamed to have this classics movies.

Greetings. :wink:
古典的な映画館

holleymartins
I was a friend of Harry Lime

Mensaje por holleymartins » Mié 01 Jun, 2005 20:07

Thanks auess for these nice links !!!

Song of China -> 150 Mb (33.2%)
New and old Shanghai -> 36 Mb (5.2%)

Regards.

el_saturn

Mensaje por el_saturn » Jue 02 Jun, 2005 00:23

thanks auess!!

trep

Mensaje por trep » Jue 02 Jun, 2005 09:52

Amazing 8O

New & Old Shangai: 325MB - 47%
Song of China: only 3MB :oops:

Jacob
Exprópiese

Mensaje por Jacob » Jue 02 Jun, 2005 15:09

Song of China: Competed and Sharing.

And clicking this one.

aguijon

Mensaje por aguijon » Jue 02 Jun, 2005 15:35

Impressive!
Thanks a lot!

auess

Re: Info

Mensaje por auess » Jue 02 Jun, 2005 16:10

canaguayo escribió:Thanks auess for this new chinese curiosity.
I'm still downloading "New & Old Shangai" (441 Mb).
"Song of China" only 106 Mb downloaded. A little slow but...
New report soon.
Thanks again.
Thanks for the everbodys reports. 8)
I'm sorry for I can't reshare New & Old Shangai now, cause several days beforemy computer got virus and have to format, so i have to del it. but i know there're peoples already finished it, i hope they can keep it sharing till enough sources.

about these 2 new stuffs, don't worry i'll keep it sharing, till enough finished sources appeared. :)

canaguayo

Mensaje por canaguayo » Sab 04 Jun, 2005 11:48

New report about chinese classics dawnloading...
"New and Old Shangai", 534 Mb.
"Song of China, 281 Mb.
"Wedding in the Dream", 115 Mb.
I hope this weekend things goes faster !!! :P I want to see those movies as soon as possible.
Sorry for the viruses, auess.
Bye
---
Si nos gustan tanto las pirámides ¿por qué no hacemos más? - Pablo Motos

GandalfMetal

Mensaje por GandalfMetal » Dom 05 Jun, 2005 13:50

Completed and sharing "Song of China" and "Remorse at death".

Greetings. :wink:
古典的な映画館

holleymartins
I was a friend of Harry Lime

Mensaje por holleymartins » Sab 11 Jun, 2005 15:22

Completed and sharing.

Thanks.