[anim] 8 short films (Robert Breer)

El Foro de Animación. De calidad y tal. Caben dibus, stop-motion, plastilina, pin-screen...
daseinforlorn

[anim] 8 short films (Robert Breer)

Mensaje por daseinforlorn » Mié 28 Abr, 2004 05:40

Breer has been working in the field of experimental animation and the moving picture for almost 50 years now. Breer, who studied painting at Stanford University, and later in Zadkine's studio in Paris, followed the path of film from the still to the moving picture. His "graphic cinema" - as film theorist P. Adams Sitney called it - is an expression of the complete fusion of art and film. His work, however, is not absolute, but is characterized by humour, criticism and reflection as regards content.
A key work of experimental animation is "A Man and His Dog Out For Air", in which he plays with the viewers' expectations by using the minimal techniques of line drawing and an associative level of sound. At the same time, the film demonstrates the possibilities of animation: representation, transformation, oscillation between abstraction and figuration...
"A Man and His Dog Out For Air" nevertheless is not one of Robert Breer's typical films, as they almost always contain heterogeneous and disparate sequences of pictures.
While the silent film "Form Phases V" is a strong reminder of the film and form experiments of the twenties in avant-garde films and partly prolongs Breer's ambitions as a painter in the field of geometric abstraction, a radical picture and film language can already be seen in "Recreation": quick cuts, material collages and sequences from life action films make this film a true film bricollage. It also shows that Breer is the forerunner of music clips without losing his artistic stringency. The combination of different materials and objects, photographs and drawings remains a central theme in his work despite the many developments. In 1968, he rightly received the Max Ernst Prize in Oberhausen. With "Jamestown Baloos" in 1957, a stronger political, media and culture critical way of seeing things is revealed in Breer's films. It is based on a tryptichon he saw in Lübeck. With the combination of picturesque elements and pictures from magazines his art is similar to that of Robert Rauschenberg, one of the most important representatives of Pop Art with whom he made the film "Linoleum" in 1966. The use of pin ups and war motives as in "Jamestown Baloos" is a theme often used by other representatives of Pop Art such as Eduardo Paolozzi, but Breer seems to have used it less affirmatively than the others. In the early seventies, he expanded his cinematic spectrum by using rotoscopy. The films became longer and quieter. The basic motif of the film "Fuji" is the view of a mountain with the same name from a train compartment. The tension between the movement of the train and the motionless monumentality of this symbol of nature is the great attraction. The film has calligraphic qualities due to his use of minimal lines. Not only does this film show Breer's interest in Zen Buddhism; an element of coincidence, which is very important in Zen Buddhism, plays a greater role here than in the other films. In this connection, Breer's thoughts can certainly be compared with the thoughts of the musician John Cage, who often worked with moments of coincidence and integrated everyday sounds into his compositions. Dealing with everyday things, i.e. newspapers, is a characteristic of some of his very early films ("Recreation", "Swiss Army Knife with Rats and Pigeons"...), but only in his later works do we clearly find personal elements. Such as in "Sparkill Ave!" (1993) where Breer shows scenes from the street in which he lives. Since the eighties, Breer has increasingly been working with life action film and sometimes uses writing. In "Bang" he uses written inserts to refer to the culture of comics and the transition from writing to the picture. At the same time, the film focuses on the Second World War as one of its central themes - a theme that is very important, in particular, in comics and which has been exploited umpteen times - in a similar way to Roy Lichtenstein in his silk-screen prints or Bruce Conner in his film "A Movie". By using his own children's drawings, he snatches the picture from a purely abstract and general level, which often drifts into an element of cynicism with other artists. At the same time, he shows - as they also did in the past - how a child's imagination is formed or deformed by the picture arsenal of the entertainment industry...
Despite the heterogeneity of Breer's collages, the different techniques he applies and the various themes he uses in his films, he has created very stringent works from an artistic point of view. In addition to his creations in the field of painting and sculpture, he has made over 40 films. The Movement of animation has always been the centre of his visions, regardless of whether we are talking of film, photography, painting, sculpture or Zen Buddhism, everyday life, formalism or humour.

Recreation
1956-57; 16mm; 2 Min.; colour

ed2k linkRobert Breer - Recreation (1956).mpg ed2k link stats

A Man and His Dog Out for Air
1957; 16mm; 3 Min.; black & white

ed2k linkRobert Breer - A Man And His Dog Out For Air (1957).mpg ed2k link stats

1968; 16mm; 5 Min.; colour

ed2k linkRobert Breer - 69 (1968).mpg ed2k link stats

LMNO
1978; 16mm; 10 Min.; colour

ed2k linkRobert Breer - Lmno (1978).mpg ed2k link stats

Fuji
1974; 16mm; 10 Min.; colour

ed2k linkRobert Breer - Fuji (1974).mpg ed2k link stats

T.Z.
1979; 16mm; 8.30 Min.; colour

ed2k linkRobert Breer - T.Z. (1979).mpg ed2k link stats

Swiss Army Knife with Rats and Pigeons
1980; 16mm; 6 Min.; colour

ed2k linkRobert Breer - Swiss Army Knife With Rats And Pigeons (1980).mpg ed2k link stats

Trial Balloons
1982 5.5 min 16mm

ed2k linkRobert Breer - Trial Balloons (1982).mpg ed2k link stats

http://www.chireader.com/movies/archive ... 6067b.html

trep

Mensaje por trep » Mié 28 Abr, 2004 09:38

8 films ???

*overflow*

"I've got to get organized", Travis Bickle would say. I'll start with Greta Snider shorts, then get to these too. I can handle it. Don't panic.

Thanks a lot Dase :plas: ... but please keep all this shared!

marcambit

Mensaje por marcambit » Mié 28 Abr, 2004 11:07

Jesus, Daseinforlorn!!! What a post! :-)

With such a huge explanation I can't help myself clicking all the elinks!!!

You're always bringing great and new stuff here! Thanks a lot!

DavidM

Mensaje por DavidM » Mié 28 Abr, 2004 15:13

I think I've read the name before but I didn't know anything about this man. "Experimental animation"? Consider it clicked!

Thanks.

DavidM

auess

Mensaje por auess » Mié 28 Abr, 2004 16:00

DavidM escribió:I think I've read the name before but I didn't know anything about this man. "Experimental animation"?
i think he's a great animator with his own unique "abstract animation style", just like harry smith or len lye or norman mclaren...even better. :P

LauRíSTiCa

Mensaje por LauRíSTiCa » Jue 29 Abr, 2004 12:32

Estoy bajándolos de su ftp.
Por ahora sólo tengo Recreation y A Man and His Dog Out for Air , q ocupan unos 20 meguillas cada uno. No sé si siguen estando compartidos por separado en el emule y si los estais bajando. Si es así, los voy metiendo en el Incoming a medida que los tenga.
Otra opción es tratar de bajarlos todos y compartir un único rar.
Vosotros direis. :)

mondocane

Mensaje por mondocane » Jue 29 Abr, 2004 15:23

Yo estoy bajando "A Man and his Dog Out for Air" y de momento no he conseguido ni un byte, de hecho solo me aparece Auess como unica fuente, así que por mí, si los puedes poner una temporadita en el incoming pues estaria fenomenal, yo de hecho los quiero todos, por cierto, ¿los has visto?¿Que tal?

el_cid_campeador

Mensaje por el_cid_campeador » Jue 29 Abr, 2004 16:34

Se me ha despertado el hambre :twisted:
Thanks a lot daseinforlorn

LauRíSTiCa

Mensaje por LauRíSTiCa » Jue 29 Abr, 2004 17:13

Bueno, se m acaba de pirar la conexion con el amigo dase.
He logrado bajar los 4 más cortitos, y en cuanto abra la mula los pongo a compartir.
mondocane escribió:Los quiero todos, por cierto, ¿los has visto?¿Que tal?
Pues he visto los 4: Recreation; A Man and His Dog Out for Air, Trial Balloons y Swiss Army Knife with Rats and Pigeons y si os soy sincera tampoco me han parecido nada del otro mundo. Los 2 primeros...psche...Trial Balloons es el que tiene más gracia; pero teniendo en cuenta q esto es algo muy subjetivo y que estoy medio sobada es casi mejor q juzgueis vosotros. :lol:

marvin2kk

Mensaje por marvin2kk » Vie 30 Abr, 2004 09:27

yo voto meterlos en un rar y compartir como dice lauristica. :P

pilotprix

Mensaje por pilotprix » Sab 01 May, 2004 15:24

maybe anybody could say something about quality of those files?

ps
I am back and sharing my stuff again...

LauRíSTiCa

Mensaje por LauRíSTiCa » Sab 01 May, 2004 17:00

MPEG-1 352x240 29,97fps CBR 1000kbps,
Layer-2 44100Hz 112kbps

Welcome again, prix. :wink:

auess

Mensaje por auess » Sab 01 May, 2004 17:44

pilotprix escribió:maybe anybody could say something about quality of those files?

ps
I am back and sharing my stuff again...
quality is ok. :)
welcome back, prix.
btw, have you seen my message? my ftp port is changed "2002", 61.187.251.22:2002, usename and password not change, please please finish your fluxus uploads, tia. :)

Fitzcarraldo

Mensaje por Fitzcarraldo » Vie 14 Ene, 2005 05:37

Fuji
T.Z.
LMNO

could any one reshare this please I want them I want them! :cry:

LauRíSTiCa

Mensaje por LauRíSTiCa » Vie 14 Ene, 2005 09:10

Resharing Fuji and Lmno. I didn't get T.Z. (Perhaps I got it, but I didn't burn it, bcause I remember I found these shorts quite boring).
Anyway, here they are:
ed2k linkRobert.Breer.-.Fuji.(1974).mpg ed2k link stats
ed2k linkrobert.breer.-.lmno.(1978).mpg ed2k link stats

Fitzcarraldo

Mensaje por Fitzcarraldo » Vie 14 Ene, 2005 17:19

Muchas Gracias Lauri :D

seiyuro_hiko

Mensaje por seiyuro_hiko » Mar 14 Feb, 2006 00:53

:arrow: Could somebody put these 2 short on their incoming folder please ? thanks in advance ;)
:arrow: ¿ podría alguien poner estos 2 cortos en la carpeta de Incoming por favor ? gracias por adelantado ;)

- Swiss army knife with rats and pigeons
- T.Z.
"... like a pyramid of heartbeats
everythings fainting
like the windless delicacy of the air
in chinese paintings ..."

daseinforlorn

Mensaje por daseinforlorn » Mié 15 Feb, 2006 05:43

seiyuro_hiko escribió::arrow: Could somebody put these 2 short on their incoming folder please ? thanks in advance ;)
:arrow: ¿ podría alguien poner estos 2 cortos en la carpeta de Incoming por favor ? gracias por adelantado ;)

- Swiss army knife with rats and pigeons
- T.Z.

Okay. They will be back up by tomorrow morning.

seiyuro_hiko

Mensaje por seiyuro_hiko » Mié 15 Feb, 2006 10:31

Okay. They will be back up by tomorrow morning.
A-million... a-zillon thanks daseinforlorn !!! :)
"... like a pyramid of heartbeats
everythings fainting
like the windless delicacy of the air
in chinese paintings ..."

daseinforlorn

Mensaje por daseinforlorn » Jue 16 Feb, 2006 15:30

Had to convert them from .dat format. The file sizes are probably different. Here they are. They will be on release, so shouldn't take too long. I am usually on DonkeyServer No1.

Or try soulseek. Would be much faster. My username is the same as it is here.

ed2k linkRobert Breer - T.Z. (1979).mpg ed2k link stats

ed2k linkRobert Breer - Swiss Army Knife With Rats And Pigeons (1980).mpg ed2k link stats