Underground (E. de Antonio & M. Lampson & H. Wexler, 1976) ALGORip VO

Sección dedicada al cine experimental. Largometrajes, cortos, series y material raro, prácticamente desconocido o de interés muy minoritario.
trep

Underground (E. de Antonio & M. Lampson & H. Wexler, 1976) ALGORip VO

Mensaje por trep » Lun 18 Jul, 2005 11:05

Imagen

Imagen

IMDb - 6.4/10 (22 votes)

About de Antonio

[quote]With a somewhat greater reputation as a 'cause' than as a film (FBI subpoenas on de Antonio, Haskell Wexler and Mary Lampson to surrender all footage brought an outcry from left-liberal Hollywood, before being withdrawn), this clandestinely-shot interview with five leading members of the Weather Underground marks both de Antonio's weakness and his strength as a radical film-maker. Soft-pedalling the analysis of the Weather-people's position on revolutionary armed struggle in the States (the questioning suggests reverence for 'the outlaw' rather than rigorous enquiry), and accordingly obtaining a number of rather woolly theoretical self-justifications, he none the less firmly situates the group in a recent US political history constructed largely from his own previous films and those of his followers, constantly relating his almost anonymous (obliquely shot) fugitive subjects to the events and conditions that radicalised them and sent them underground.[/quote]

[quote]This film is not likely to be of interest to anyone who does not already know the basic history of the Weather Underground and the Students for a Democratic Society, with the possible exception of radical activists. It is basically an interview with some of the wanted members of the Weather Underground Organization, a radical left "terrorist" organization which grew out of the 60s political counterculture. WUO was wanted for a string of bombings (including the US Capital Building), and as such their faces are not visible. All of the members of the group who are interviewed in the film have since surfaced, and some are presently serving long prison sentences.

I was born in 1972, and as such I was not really cognizant of what was going on the mid-70s but in hindsight what strikes me about this film is how much it feels like the "end" of something. The political idealism of the 1960s had long since imploded, and WUO's struggle seems futile - a few dozen radicals does not a revolution make.

It is interesting to hear stories about what drove these people to pursue a life of armed struggle in the United States. Short clips of Black Panthers and people like Fidel Castro are included to give context to WUO's struggle. WUO was not a nihilist organization; there were specific aims and ideology behind what they fought for.

In no way do I condone their actions, and my politics are very much opposed to that of WUO's, but you have to admire the courage, dedication, and commitment to action (rather than just talk) which defined this organization.

Before watching this film (still in print), it would be helpful (if you have not already done so) to do some reading on the subject, or else the film is not likely to be of much interest (Familiarity with the basics of WUO and its origins is assumed).

Try Ron Jacobs's superb "The Way the Wind Blew: A History of the Weather Underground" for starters.

The value of this film is in its underlying optimism; that there was a time in America where people felt that they really could change the world - that you could fight the system and win.

WUO failed, of course, and several decades of cynicism and apathy followed.[/quote]

Two FS. NOT VERIFIED! I don't know if it's the complete movie, fingers crossed...

ed2k linkUnderground - Weather Underground Film - 1975.avi ed2k link stats

botibol
Dum Dum

Mensaje por botibol » Lun 18 Jul, 2005 11:24

:sorpreson: wow, thanks a lot trep, I'm dying for see it, my fingers are already crossed.
Antes de echarse al coleto este documental es recomendable verse este otro antes
:arrow: viewtopic.php?t=31382&highlight=weather+underground

a mi fue el que me despertó la pasión por los Weathermen

trep

Mensaje por trep » Lun 18 Jul, 2005 23:10

Finally I got the first chunk, and it seems the real thing - a VHS rip from the MPI tape :D
Here's a cap:
Imagen

botibol
Dum Dum

Mensaje por botibol » Mar 19 Jul, 2005 01:14

grrrreat!!!!! :plas: :plas: :plas:

trep

Mensaje por trep » Mié 20 Jul, 2005 14:05

VERIFIED!

Underground - Weather Underground Film - 1975.avi, 348Mb

video:
288x224