Robert Smithson's Spiral Jetty (1970)

Sección dedicada al cine experimental. Largometrajes, cortos, series y material raro, prácticamente desconocido o de interés muy minoritario.
trep

Robert Smithson's Spiral Jetty (1970)

Mensaje por trep » Sab 09 Oct, 2004 11:44

ImagenImagen

Earthworks were all the rage in the seventies and Robert Smithson provoked that rage, especially with the immense Spiral Jetty which was built in on Rosel Point off Utah's Great Salt Lake in 1970. You will NEVER find this 34 minute short video complete and uncut elsewhere. The project was directed by Smithson himself who . It's in black and white, shot to be overexposed and given to fragmented post-modern narrative.

I've ripped it to 700 mb, and I assure this rip is as clear and crisp as the original film.

His website (http://www.robertsmithson.com ) does include more modern (in color) downloadable sound-bytes taken from the film which was directed by Smithson himself with some of the camera work done by him as well as Robert Fiore, Nancy Holt and Robert Logan. You'll also find discussions of his other projects such as Ashphalt Rundown, Broken Circle, Spiral Hill and more, as well as articles and interviews about Smithson's work on the website.

Here's what Smithson says about the film:

"Back in New York, the urban desert, I contacted Bob Fiore and Barbara Jarvis
and asked them to help me put my movie together. The movie began as a set of
disconnections, a bramble of stabilized fragments taken from things obscure
and fluid, ingredients trapped in a succession of frames, a stream of
viscosities both still and moving. And the movie editor, bending over such a
chaos of "takes" resembles a paleontoligist sorting out glimpses of a world
not yet together, a land that has yet to come to completion, a span of time
unfinished, a spaceless limbo on some spiral reels. Film strips hung from the
cutter's rack, bits and pieces of Utah, out-takes overexposed and
underexposed, masses of impenetrable material. The sun, the spiral, the salt
buried in lengths of footage. Everything about movies and moviemaking is
archaic and crude. One is transported by this Archeozoic medium into the
earliest known geological eras. The movieola becomes a "time machine" that
transforms trucks into dinasaurs."

Nancy Holt shoots a one minute segment directed by Smithson where she is asked to shoot the "earth's history."

Get it while you can folks!

yrs for rare shit,
darknessatnoon[/color]

http://delirium-vault.com/showthread.php?t=5354

SPECS:
~699Mb, 00:34:50
video: 336x256, 29.97 fps, 2683,6 kbps, divx (DX50)
sound: MP3, 128kbps, 48000, Stereo

Originally released by DarknessAtNoon@DeliriumVault, it has been sitting on my HD for a while now. Two or three people already found it, so I thought it was time to give it a proper release.

THE LINK:
ed2k linkSpiral Jetty (Robert Smithson).avi ed2k link stats

The spiral jetty from IKONOS satellite:

Imagen

LauRíSTiCa

Mensaje por LauRíSTiCa » Sab 09 Oct, 2004 12:15

8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O 8O
I can´t even talk....
Th...Th..a...Than..k..ssss

trep

Mensaje por trep » Sab 09 Oct, 2004 13:05

It's just a pity that it's in B/W... :(
Here's the color clip from Smithson's website:

http://www.robertsmithson.com/films/mov/spjetty_u5.mov

Fitzcarraldo

Mensaje por Fitzcarraldo » Dom 10 Oct, 2004 00:24

:meparto: i'm going crazy :meparto:

diarutinezu

Mensaje por diarutinezu » Dom 10 Oct, 2004 01:22

:o 8O :o 8O :!: :o 8O

LauRíSTiCa

Mensaje por LauRíSTiCa » Mar 12 Oct, 2004 07:48

I´ve already finished it!
I saw it some months ago in an exhibition about Landscape and Memory and I´ve been trying to find it since then. I don´t really care about the spiral jetty, made somewhere just be filmed and photographed. It´s not the final result but the process Smithson develops the real art work and that´s what this films deals with.
I´m too sleepy at this time to talk about Smithson work. Just to tell everybody interested in land art to have a look at this old thread.
viewtopic.php?t=24957&highlight=goldsworthy
Thanks a lot Trep. :wink:

Imagen
"Después de conseguir un alquiler por veinte años de la zona, y después de encontrar un contratista a Ogden, empecé a construir el muelle el mes de abril de 1970. Bob Phillips, en encargado, envió dos camiones, un tractor y una gran excavadora al lugar. La cola de la espiral empezaba con una línea diagonal de estacas que se extendía hacia la zona serpenteante. Entonces se extendió una cuerda desde una estaca central con la finalidad de sacar anillos de la espiral. Desde el final de la diagonal hasta el centro de la espiral, tres curvas se enroscaban hacia la izquierda.. La excavadora sacaba basalto y tierra de la playa, donde empezaba el muelle, y después los depositaba en los camiones, que iban marcha atrás hacia la línea de estacas y descargaban el material.

(...) La Spiral Jetty había sido marcada de forma que se evitasen los barros blandos que emergían por la corteza de sal; a pesar de ello, existían algunas fisuras de barro que no podían evitarse. Sólo podíamos esperar que la tensión mantuviese todo el muelle, y lo hizo. La escala de la Spiral Jetty tiende a fluctuar según el lugar que ocupe el observador. La medida determina un objeto, pero la escala determina el arte. Una grieta en la pared, si se contempla en términos de escala y no de medida, podría ser el Grand Canyon. Una sala podría hacerse de manera que adquiriese la inmensidad del sistema solar. La escala depende de la capacidad de uno para ser consciente de las realidades de la percepción. Cuando uno se niega a liberar la escala de la medida le queda un objeto del lenguaje que parece ser cierto. Para mí, la escala funciona mediante la incertidumbre. Estar en la escala de la Spiral Jetty es estar fuera de ella."
http://www.robertsmithson.com/films/txt/spiral.html
Imagen
Imagen

Arcadia_Ego

Mensaje por Arcadia_Ego » Mar 12 Oct, 2004 15:20

:o