The Passing (Bill Viola 1991)

Sección dedicada al cine experimental. Largometrajes, cortos, series y material raro, prácticamente desconocido o de interés muy minoritario.
trep

The Passing (Bill Viola 1991)

Mensaje por trep » Jue 16 Sep, 2004 19:38

Imagen
Imagen
Bill Viola's extraordinary new piece 'The Passing' is arguably the most important video art work of the last few years. Startling, lyrical, profound, and powerfully, authentically moving, it is also the most perfect expression so far of Viola's singular artistic vision. A haunting visual fugue, made up of spectral optical phenomena and impressions from the edges of consciousness, The Passing spirals, to striking effect, round a simple leitmotif - that of Viola, the restless sleeper, undergoing what one might call a 'dark night of the soul': his unquiet slumbers interrupted by surging, primal memories; and, then, when brought sharply awake, by intimations of mortality. This bleary nighttime perspective provides the perfect setting for Viola's trademark trance-like transformations, which continually blur the line between dream and reality, between the self and the surrounding world. In the to-and-fro between waking and sleep, punctuated only by distant night sounds and the rise-and-fall of Viola's breathing, the camera passes like a ghost (from the depths of the sleeper's psyche to the shadowy interior of the house, to the empty streets outside and the desert landscape beyond), leaving a vivid trail of associations in its wake. These encompass Viola's near drowning as a ten-year-old, the birth of his (second) son and various shots of his elderly mother, whose death provokes the tape's somber rumination on the (inevitable) passing of time. Viola's breathtaking black-and-white images are more than a match for his themes: using high-grain slow-motion video to establish an evocative dream-like texture and a special light-sensitive camera to (brilliantly) illumine the darkness of the world outside. Some of his set-piece tableaux (particularly the astonishing sequences where Viola takes his trompe l'oeil effects underwater) have a spellbinding surrealist quality that stays in the mind's eye long after the passing moment has faded. Rarely, if ever, has video been so visionary in its mood, so poetic in its language and so powerful in its emotional impact.

http://www.fvumbrella.com/html/seeinginthedark.html
The Passing hauntingly travels the terrains of the conscious, the subconscious, and the desert landscapes of the Southwest, melding sleep, dreams and the drama of waking life into a stunning masterpiece. Viola, placed at the center of this personal exploration of altered time and space, represents his mortality in such forms as a glistening newborn baby, his deceased mother, and the artist himself, floating, submerged under water. Starkly yet poignantly rendered in black and white, The Passing re-enforces the notion of a permeable conduit between reality and surreality. An irrepressible soundtrack of Viola’s labored breathing in sleeping and wakefulness serves to pull the viewer through an otherworldly topography. Amy Taubin of the Village Voice hails The Passing as "awesomely beautiful" and deems Bill Viola "a world-class video artist." She writes, "Some of the images ... burst out of the darkness, shimmer and fade as radiant and ephemeral as shooting stars."

http://www.konstframjandet.org/passing.html

This is the best Viola I've seen so far, recommended :D.
VIDEO: [DIVX-Ffmpeg] 704x480 24bpp 23,976 fps 1094,1 kbps (133,6 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: [MP3]48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 4000->192000 (32,0 kbit)

Note: I've not rescaled the movie to preserve quality, so if your player doesn't do it for you, set the aspect to 4:3 manually.
Some interlaced frames here and there, sorry.
ImagenTHE LINK:
ed2k linkBill Viola - The Passing (1991 - 54 min).avi ed2k link stats

Arcadia_Ego

Mensaje por Arcadia_Ego » Jue 16 Sep, 2004 20:43

Trep, thanks. Thanks Thanks ThanksThanksThanksThanksThanks.

And now: The best Viola so far? Are you sure?
Before I've seen many video-instalations in the Bilbao's Guggenheim, I can said that the currently work of this semi-god of the contemporary syntax is overcoming it self.
Lets see that video.

THANKS ! ^_^

Faeton

Mensaje por Faeton » Jue 16 Sep, 2004 22:10

Thanks, Trep!!! :plas: :plas:

Also, I think nobody´s posted the working link to "Ancient of days"... Verified!

:arrow: ed2k linkBill.Viola.-.Ancient.Of.Days.(1979).avi ed2k link stats

(Este sí que funciona; comprobado)

bonzopoe

Mensaje por bonzopoe » Vie 17 Sep, 2004 16:39

Bajando ambos, The Passing y Ancient of Days, no se de donde voy a sacar horas para ver tanta peli pero a ver como le hago, que estos dos trabajos tienen muy buena pinta.

saludos y gracias por los links Faeton y trep

LauRíSTiCa

Mensaje por LauRíSTiCa » Vie 17 Sep, 2004 18:16

Clicked! Thx a bunch Trep! :plas:

pedritus

Mensaje por pedritus » Sab 18 Sep, 2004 14:15

Gracias, trep!!
y gracias, Faeton, por el aviso.

marcambit

Mensaje por marcambit » Sab 18 Sep, 2004 15:50

Thanks a lot , Trep. (haven't i said this line before? :-) )

marvin2kk

Mensaje por marvin2kk » Sab 18 Sep, 2004 16:00

click!! :D :D :D :D

pickpocket

Mensaje por pickpocket » Lun 20 Sep, 2004 19:55

Pos eso, que yo tambien Click!!

Un millon de gracias :wink: :wink: :wink:

ultraraf

Mensaje por ultraraf » Mar 21 Sep, 2004 01:11

Fabulous, I´m in!
Just one question...

"An irrepressible soundtrack of Viola’s labored breathing in sleeping and wakefulness serves to pull the viewer through an otherworldly topography"

It´s that the only soundtrack?
I love the images but some other bits by Viola have Varese´s music and it really does get on my nerves... :cry:

Thanks for all this great stuff, Trep
Did I ever tell you about the man who taught his ass to talk? His whole abdomen would move up and down you dig farting out the words. It was unlike anything I had ever heard.

by_MaRio

Mensaje por by_MaRio » Mié 22 Sep, 2004 01:47

Thanks a lot, Trep :D