Enter The Clowns (2002)(china/transgender)

Sección dedicada al cine experimental. Largometrajes, cortos, series y material raro, prácticamente desconocido o de interés muy minoritario.
trep

Enter The Clowns (2002)(china/transgender)

Mensaje por trep » Jue 09 Sep, 2004 12:56

Imagen

-->The useless IMDb
-->City Weekend:
The third event is a series of films by noted filmmaker, author and gay activist Cui Zi'en. Cui, a professor at the Beijing Film Academy, has written and lectured extensively about the challenges and changes taking place in China's gay, lesbian and transgender community. He was recently awarded a 2002 Felipa award by the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC) for his work promoting the acceptance of gay culture and identity within China.[...]
Enter the Clowns, a controversial and intriguing gender-bender of a film set in Beijing, has already played to overseas audiences at the Rotterdam and Los Angeles film festivals. Xiao Bo, the protagonist of the film, performs deathbed fellatio on his dying father but cannot manage to satisfy his girlfriend, Nana. Nana undertakes a promiscuous search for happiness and along the way, meets up with Dong Dong, whose mother has undergone a female to male gender reassignment operation while continuing to live with her second husband, Da Yu.[...]
With their frank depictions of human sexuality and shades of Andy Warhol and John Waters, Cui's films are definitely not for the faint of heart, but viewers interested in experimental film and gay culture within China should find Cui's cinematic oeuvre both illuminating and unflinchingly honest.
--> Gay movies:
'Enter the clowns' unfolds as a succession of episodes, from a disturbing confrontation between a young man and his gender-bending parent, where the young man grants a final sexual request to his dying father (who insists on being called mom), to the Fassbinder-inspired "Nana Changes into a Woman," to a series of sketches involving gay desire. Realism is not for Cui Zi'en, who intertwines long takes, mundane action, and non-professional acting ã la Warhol with a more baroque, whimsical, surreal but also darker inspiration.
--> International Film Festival Rotterdam:
Cui Zi'en (who teaches at the Beijing Film Academy) had a large hand in Liu Bingjian's pioneering gay feature Men and Women. Now he inaugurates a new Queer Chinese Cinema with a movie that says: Everything you know about sexual identity and gender orientation is wrong. From the opening chapter, in which the hunky Xiao Bo gets a blow-job from his dying mother (or is it his father?), the movie delights in splashing about in the moral equivalent of sperm. The characters are deliciously variegated. Xiao Bo lives with Nana, but totally fails to satisfy her. Nana flirts with lots of men, hoping to find someone better, but starts to fear that there isn't a man in Beijing to match her. Dongdong is a high-school boy whose mother goes through a female-to-male sex change. This complicates her relationship with Dongdong's stepfather, who still loves her (him) enough to prelude looking for a new girlfriend... Cui first wrote this as a novel, and its structure of interlocking chapters and the sometimes high-flown dialogue may reflect those origins. But its queering of everyday life in Beijing is anything but literary, and its rough indie edges actually intensify its splendidly perverse approach to gender politics. Witty and touching.

This is my rip of it. There is also this recent, now well spread, rip from VeryCD (argh! they were faster than me!), but I can't say anything about quality of that one, or about it having subtitles.

ImagenThe LINK:
ed2k linkCui Zi En - Enter The Clowns - English Hardsubs (China 2002)(transgender).avi ed2k link stats

ImagenThe specs:
VIDEO: [DIVX] 640x384 24bpp 25,000 fps 1099,7 kbps (134,2 kbyte/s)
AUDIO: [MP3] 48000 Hz, 2 ch, 16 bit (0x10), ratio: 24000->192000 (192,0 kbit)
ImagenThe screencaps:
Imagen

Imagen

Imagen

spione

Mensaje por spione » Jue 09 Sep, 2004 17:36

Mantua

Mensaje por Mantua » Jue 30 Sep, 2004 19:55

A los que hayáis visto ya la peli: ¿tiene alguna relación con 'Send it the clowns'?

Me explico: ésa es una celebérrima canción/balada de S.Sondheim, procedente de un musical llamado 'A little night music' que, a su vez está inspirado en las 'Sonrisas de una noche de verano' de I.Bergman, quien por su parte tomó el asunto de la comedia de Shakespeare 'El sueño de una noche de verano', que también sirvió de fundamento más o menos fiel para la película homónima de M.Reinhardt y la 'Comedia sexual de una noche de verano' de W.Allen.

Bueno, pues lo que se ventila en todas esas producciones (y, definitivamente, en la canción aludida al principio) es el juego de encuentros y desencuentros amoroso-sexuales entre las parejas protagonistas.

Los textos que incluye Trep en el post parece que van por ahí, y por eso me/os pregunto si habéis percibido alguna relación, dado lo explícitamente sugerente del título = 'Enter the clowns' vs. 'Send in the clowns'.

Pues eso, pura curiosidad.
Ya informaréis.

Salud.
"No se trata de quién tiene razón; lo que importa es saber quién manda" (L.Carroll)

Fitzcarraldo

Mensaje por Fitzcarraldo » Sab 02 Oct, 2004 00:17

Grazie!!! Tropo Buono :D

bonzopoe

Mensaje por bonzopoe » Sab 02 Oct, 2004 00:22

Ya estoy bajando esta peli resignado a verla con los subs insctrustados en ingles, pero si alguien encuentra unos en español que nos eche un grito, que realmente a despertado mi curiosidad.

saludos

trep

Mensaje por trep » Sab 02 Oct, 2004 10:14

Mantua escribió:A los que hayáis visto ya la peli: ¿tiene alguna relación con 'Send in the clowns'?
You have a strong point, my dear! :)
I suppose the chinese title may be translated both ways, and maybe "enter the clowns" was chosen as the official title because of copyright problems. Not only the transgender classic book "Gender Outlaw" has an entire chapter titled "Send in the clowns", but here's an entry for Sondheim, Stephen (b. 1930) in the GLBTQ's Encyclopedia 8O

And look at these lyrics:
Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer?
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
But where are the clowns?
There ought to be clowns.
Well, maybe next year.
Wonderful song, btw:
ed2k linkJudy Collins - Send In The Clowns.mp3 ed2k link stats

Mantua

Mensaje por Mantua » Sab 02 Oct, 2004 22:51

Bueno, pues visto lo visto, parece que habrá que bajársela.

Eso sí, unos subtítulos en cualquier lengua 'traducible' me van hacer buena falta. A ver si alguien da novedades al respecto.

Muchas gracias, Trep. Y a los demás por compartir.
"No se trata de quién tiene razón; lo que importa es saber quién manda" (L.Carroll)