The Queen of Sheba Meets the Atom Man (Ron Rice-1963-82)

Sección dedicada al cine experimental. Largometrajes, cortos, series y material raro, prácticamente desconocido o de interés muy minoritario.
trep

The Queen of Sheba Meets the Atom Man (Ron Rice-1963-82)

Mensaje por trep » Mié 04 Ago, 2004 15:40

Imagen
Imagen
Imagen

A Critical Essay by Cary Collins
Taylor Mead, Andy Warhol superstar
THE QUEEN OF SHEBA MEETS THE ATOM MAN
Rice died before he finished shooting this film which Alberto Moravia called a "violent, childish and sincere" protest against the industrial world. Between 1979 and 1982 Taylor Mead, who also acts in the film, prepared this final version of what was to be a three hour epic.

This free-form comic epic is a showcase for the inspired clowning of Mead and his unlikely foil, an enormous (and frequently nude) black woman (Winfred Bryant). Cameos by Jack Smith, Judith Malina, Julian Beck, and others. Incomplete at filmmaker Ron Rice’s death at age 29, a version of the film prepared by Mead was restored by Anthology Film Archives. Rice wrote, "This is your opportunity to help challenge the Hollywood stranglehold on morals, expression, and art and what have you. Dig us."

RON RICE
Though dying before the age of thirty, having made only a few films, Ron Rice nevertheless left behind the mark of his strong, intuitive gifts as a film-maker. A high school dropout and restless drifter, Rice initially made his way to film when he purchased an 8mm camera to record bicycle races. In San Francisco he met Taylor Mead which lead to the production of The Flower Thief, with Mead as its off-beat hero. In its great feeling for spontaneous illogicality, the film not only defied the professional conventions of slick narrative, but seemed to capture the spirit of a rebellious generation.
Here I am, back from a wonderful leisure trip (auess you live in a wonderful country! ;) ), and here is a weird classic of beat cinema, enjoy!

ed2k linkRon Rice - The Queen Of Sheba Meets The Atom Man - 1963-82.avi ed2k link stats

pilotprix

Mensaje por pilotprix » Mié 04 Ago, 2004 16:01

thank You.

some good links appeared lately, I think it's time for me to rip something for you. what are you interested in most (anger, mekas, vanderbeek, iimura.... ?)

pilotprix

auess

Mensaje por auess » Jue 05 Ago, 2004 02:07

Welcome back, Trep. how's beijing? did you climb up the great wall? 8)
and Great Thanks for this ultra-rare stuff you sharing! :plas:

to Prix: i think Takahiko Iimura's "60s Experiments" is the best choice for now. :P
TIA.

by_MaRio

Mensaje por by_MaRio » Jue 05 Ago, 2004 04:45

Thank you, Trep, I'll take a look 8O ,

to Prix: what about As I Was Moving Ahead Occasionally I Saw Brief Glimpses of Beauty? :D

trep

Mensaje por trep » Vie 06 Ago, 2004 09:13

pilotprix escribió:what are you interested in most (anger, mekas, vanderbeek, iimura.... ?)
pilotprix
8O
I trust your tastes, Prix! :D
auess escribió:Welcome back, Trep. how's beijing? did you climb up the great wall?
Indeed I did! You know, I'm from Venezia so I climb up and down stairs and bridges all day long, the Great Wall was a piece of cake for me :wink: . It was far more difficult not to lose our way in the maze of Beijing (we had three map and all three were often imprecise...! On the other hand I love psychogeographical wandering and I think I have now a good first understanding of the inner two rings of the city ;) )